“Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.” – Twyla Tharp
- Do you want to run away, just for a bit, without leaving home? Take some time for yourself, meet interesting and like-minded people and learn a new skill at my regular weekly art classes in Dublin. Painting is good for your emotional wellbeing, improves your memory and concentration and relieves stress.
- At my regular weekly art classes in Dublin, I teach oil painting. Specifically alla prima oil painting. I teach through still lifes mostly and keep painting from photos to a minimum. It’s much better to paint directly from life; you’ll learn much more and more quickly.
- Once you have the procedure internalised, you can successfully apply this knowledge to all your paintings – even those painted from photo references. I encourage you to explore new techniques and vary your painting projects when you feel confident enough!
- Each class starts with a demonstration by me (and you can buy them directly from this website by going to this page). Then you paint with my assistance. You’ll complete a painting at each class, so you’ll be painting small.
Progress at last!
Kevin’s beginner’s oil art class made painting so much easier to understand! Step-by-step guidance simplified everything. I’m amazed at my progress!
A great class with great people
I’m so glad I started these oil painting classes -even though I’ve been painting for quite a long time, I never really had any instruction before so when I decided to take the plunge and hold my own exhibition, Kevin was able to help me plan and present my show properly. Thank you!
The highlight of my week
The friendly atmosphere in Kevin’s art class really fosters a sense of belonging, while the excellent tuition pushed my painting skills to new heights. The community spirit is great, inspiring me to explore my creativity without hesitation and Kevin really is a patient and knowledgeable teacher.
Brenda / Louth
Regular Weekly Art Classes in Dublin resume after the summer break on the week of September 5th
Booking will open closer to the restart date: If you’d like to get an alert by email, sign up to the mailing list on the right hand side of this page.
How I can help you to paint
Paint Oils, Paint Small, Paint Often
I can transform your drawing and painting techniques, learning from regular demonstrations by the teacher.
I teach oil painting with occasional forays into acrylics.
Skill levels: Beginners to intermediate painters.
This is the philosophy of this class. At every class, I’ll demonstrate with a small, quick study. You see the process from start to finish. Then you’ll paint a small still life or landscape study at every class. This way, you’ll experience the entire procedure at every class and you’ll soak in the process far more quickly. I’ve endless patience and I’ll always be there to jump in and re-show techniques or bring your painting study back on track.
When you’re used to the palette and paintning method, I’ll guide you towards trying other approaches, for example; how to paint like the impressionists; how to use a brunaille underpainting.
A rational procedure
No more wondering where to start as if every painting is an entirely new experience. The method I teach will help with ALL your paintings from start to finish.
You’ll learn to paint from life.
It’s not as difficult as you think – less difficult than painting from photographic references. In fact, you’ll find that it frees you up.
A simple colour theory.
I have a background in the printing industry, where we use a limited array of colours which I’ve adapted for my student palette. You’ll learn to set up your colour palette correctly and speed up your painting process. Learn this and you’ll adapt to the traditional colours much more easily.
A sound grasp of artist materials.
I’ll simplify your materials list. I’ll explain the difference between mediums and various qualities – and I’ll advise on what you need to buy to achieve great results in your work. You’ll also learn how to set up your own painting space.
Good drawing technique.
A fundamental skill for any artist, I’ll teach you the way to achieve likenesses by measuring and re-working.
Tonal values and the value of tone.
There are many variables to grasp in painting but the principal one is tone. Painting still lifes teaches you how to see it, express it and absorb it.
You’ll learn how to use brushes, the palette knife and other paintingapplicators to create texture and life in your paintings.
Develop your personal style.
You’ll learn to embrace your personal style and not be held back by feeling that you should be always emulating others’ styles.
You’ll learn to become confident in your painting practice. You’ll know how to set up your studio, painting materials and the process of starting and completing any painting.
- Don’t forget that there’s always coffee/tea and nibbles on the house. In class, we often chat about art in a relaxed and informal way.
Explore the work and techniques of the great impressionists such as Claude Monet; Vincent Van Gogh and Paul Cézanne
Alla Prima Painting
Learn to paint wet-into-wet paintings and transform your paintings. Learn the secrets of John Singer Sargent and William Nicholson.
Brunailles, Grisailles and Glazing
Learn the classical painting technique that will change your imaginative and creative painting forever.
ESSENTIAL 6 COLOURS FOR BEGINNER PAINTERS:
- Cobalt Blue
- Permanent Rose
- Cadmium Yellow Pale Hue
- Titanium White (or Titanium buff)
- Burnt Siena (or Burnt Umber)
- Ivory Black (failing Ivory Black, get Indigo or Paynes Grey).
DO bring the following (BEGINNERS AND INTERMEDIATE PAINTERS):
- Bring boards or canvases –don’t forget you’ll need to take them home with you after the session, so not too big. Somewhere around 6″ x 8″ or 8″ x 10″ is perfect.
- A Table box-easel (Like the ones at this link). These are widely available in art shops.
- A flat wood painter’s palette (rather than one of those white plastic palettes with dips -they’re more for watercolours).
- Solvent: Zest-it, (if you can’t get that, get Sansodor). For cleaning brushes and diluting paint.
- A jar or tin with a water-tight screw-top lid for your solvent. You could also use a ‘dipper’ or ‘double-dipper” (Like the ones at this link).
- Brushes –Synthetic short flat brights: 12 and 6. Also, a Round No. 1. Try Crafty Studio, Artmines, K&M Evans or Eason) and THESE are the ones. See a video about beginner brushes here.
- It’s useful to have a small palette knife for mixing and cleaning up – and sometimes painting.
- If you like Liquin, bring that too. (Liquin is a quick-drying medium and glazing additive).
- Wet wipes.
- Wear old clothes: painting can be a messy business!
Get news direct to your inbox
Get news of new class terms for regular weekly art classes in Dublin, weekend workshops and new projects. When you join, you’ll recieve a FREE PDF ebook on how to make your own compositional viewfinder.
The form you have selected does not exist.
Terms and conditions for Regular art classes Dublin
- Signing up for a term of art classes is a 6 week commitment; classes not taken cannot be carried forward to a new term.
- Terms can not be split up or fees discounted for classes not taken.
- When students are unable to make it to a class for whatever reason, I will always endeavour to let them catch up in another art class but only if a place is available.
- If I am unable to hold the art class, the class will be made up so students will not be short.
- Payment must be made at least 2 weeks before the term begins, in order that a replacement student can be arranged from the waiting list.
- Payment matters can not be discussed in the studio; the studio is a sanctuary for art, painting and creativity.
- Students should have the required painting materials for the class (please see above).
Two PDF eBooks to help you with your paintings. Viewable on any device.
The McSherry Process Colour Palette: eBook
It’s possible to make an entire and believable palette from just the colours in this palette. Based on printer’ process colours, once you learn this, you’ll be able to transition to the traditional palettes with ease.
To help you further, this PDF ebook will display on ANY device and it also includes hyperlinks
This concise ebook for beginners will show you a simplified and rational palette that will give you a foThe How to Paint in Oils eBook by artist McSherry. Includes links to demonstration videos on Youtube and explanations to help you paint your dream painting. This concise ebook will take you through the best way to begin your painting projects. Go through the how to paint in oils ebook and the process as many times as you can; internalising the process is the key. The information can be applied to any painting that you want to create and works for acrylics, gouache, tempera as well as oils.If you'd like to join an art class with me, you can sign up for my email newsletter here at this link. You can also sign up to my Youtube channel at this link to see more alla prima oil painting videos that will help you understand the process and move your painting on. You can find great materials to paint with everywhere but just buy decent quality. You can get advice and buy art materials at Evans Art Supplies, Artmines, Universal Art Supplies and Crafty Studio - all in Dublinundational knowledge of colour. Learn this and you'll easily transition to more traditional palettes. Includes links to Youtube videos
Ten Steps to Starting ANY Painting: eBook
This concise ebook will take you through the best way to begin your painting projects. It’s a simple, logical approach that you can learn and repeat and which will work every time. To help you further, this PDF ebook will display on ANY device and it also includes hyperlinks to helpful videos I have on Youtube. Just click on the highlighted phrases in the book itself.
This concise ebook will take you through the best way to begin your painting projects. It's a simple, logical approach that you can learn and repeat and which will work every time. To help you further, this PDF ebook will display on ANY device and it also includes hyperlinks to helpful Youtube videos. Just click on the highlighted phrases.